30 May 2010

Great Expectations...

I have deliberately refrained from commenting on the coalition, for a variety of reasons.

Highly sceptical Liberal Democrat Colleagues have alluded to our Cabinet members being blamed for everything, while any good ideas are stolen by the Tories and promoted as their own.

I have not yet seen this happen, but I'm not an avid reader of the Daily Mail or The Sun, and am unsure what the press is actually putting out there.

Personally, I admit to being very pro-coalition. I'm a great believer in people knuckling down and working together for the benefit of the country. However, I'm also not foolish enough to think that it will always be harmonious.

The recent David Laws "scandal" is indicative of what the press perceive to be an unequal relationship between the Conservative and Liberal Democrats.

The "error of judgement" that Laws made seems to have reignited the expenses furore but only for the Liberal Democrat party.

The cynic in me has to wonder whether 15 days into the coalition, this is the first of many attacks on our party.

Interestingly, no one has mentioned the arrested Conservative Peer who is awaiting a trial for fraud over his expenses in a long time.

However, the social media and journalist support for David Laws is a refreshing sight.

It certainly makes up for all of the pejorative adjectives to describe the apparent failing of the coalition that so many seem to be expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for commenting. I moderate all comments before publishing, hence your comment will not appear immediately! But I will get to it sooner or later!